Since I upgraded the fuse-box on my dryer circuit in my basement, I figured I would take a look at the other fuse-box in my garage. What I found was even worse than my dryer fuse-box.
It looks like the fuse-box was borrowed from another location, since it is noticeably older than the garage itself, it also looks like it had been exposed to water and started rusting. I am wondering if this was the fuse-box that was originally in the laundry room; and if you look closely it seems that over the years they have kept tacking new wiring and adding outlets all over the garage without rhyme or reason.
And of you look closely you can see there are even a few wires they forgot to actually connect to anything, or they were connected to something and they removed the item and forgot to remove the wires afterwards. And there is also evidence at one time it appears there was a small electrical fire, probably from on old set of exterior lights.
For some odd reason they randomly placed the switches for the lights here and there, and they placed an outlet where it would have made more sense to place the light switches. And the garage door opener switch placed to far and too high up for the average person. Not to mention all of the coils of wire they never trimmed back when they were installing their past wiring modifications.
But the main reason that I decided I needed to rewire the garage was the inside of the fuse-box. Whoever did the wiring work screwed it up from day one. In the fuse panel the black wire was the only thing that was hooked up correctly. The red wire hooked to the second fuse was actually one of the two ground wires, and the bundle of white and black wires taped up in a ball at the bottom of the box; that was the actual main feed line coming into the garage. No fuse hooked up to it. Nothing to keep a short circuit from overheating the wiring and burning the garage down.
All of the lights in the garage were bare lightbulbs, and the sockets are random and were all missing something very important to a good wiring job. You know, a ground wire.
I was going to leave the original system in place while I rewired the garage, but this was just way too much of a mess. I just turned my breakers off in the house that feed the power to the garage and cut everything out. I also mounted plywood panel on the wall to create a nice clean platform to start things out.
So this is the start of my rewiring. Nice enclosed power feeds, and switch boxes, and the garage door switch is better placed and easier to reach when you are standing outside the garage and want to close the door.
I then spent the next three hours tearing the old wiring out, and preping my outlet boxes and light boxes to use them in my job.
After a quick break I then mounted new cross supports to hang the new ceiling lights from and mounted all of the boxes in their final locations. Then I spend the next five hours running all of the wires to the new outlet boxes and ceiling lights. Then I did the first real test of the system.
The main lights are now four high brightness, low power circular lights.
After I took these photos I also installed a retractable light spool near the garage door opener so that I can work in the center of the garage without needing an extension cord.
The entire job took about 8 hours.